Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Spring Awakening

At the risk of sounding like the worst kind of theater kid, I want to talk a little about Spring Awakening.

Now, this has been well-established as a blockbuster Broadway musical about teenagers navigating their wonderful, terrible sexual awakening in 19th century Germany.

The reason I bring this up is I'm currently working on a production of this at Washburn and I've been thinking a lot about the script and what it's about.

Reading through the script, I found the subject matter to be surprisingly topical, if only told in that melodramatic way that musicals are famous for. People having trouble with sexuality and watching to hide it, even what can happen when kids are not properly informed about what is happening to their biology. I'm not sure I can get behind the style of this type of media because I'm not sure I'm the type of actor that can get behind spontaneously bursting into song and dance, I think it's going to be a pretty great production.

Okay, I think I'm done self-promotion for a little bit. Go about your business.

1 comment:

  1. If Spring Awakening is a title, italicize it or ". So that its known to everyone

    ReplyDelete